Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Practical Joke I HAVE played

My freshman year in high school (lo those MANY years ago), I shared a small apartment with LRR, a friend I met in high school. We had a mutual friend LF who was going to nursing school in a different neighborhood in the same city. For some reason LF kept complaining "No one sends me a letter! How come I don't get letters?"

Mind you this was the autumn of 1977. While that IS a long time ago, telephones HAD been invented. She wasn't THAT far from us or her family. Why not just pick up a phone? We did HAVE phones and knew how to use them. When LRR and I pointed that out to LF, she wasn't convinced. She wanted a letter!

So I sent a letter. LOTS of letters. But it was only a single letter per page, and only one page per envelope. Those envelopes were addressed to LF and mailed to friends and relatives all over the country with a request to mail the envelope on a particular day. So for the better part of a month, LF got the letters she thought she wanted. They came from all over, but they didn't say a thing. And, because I made sure that there were no vowels, couldn't be made to say anything.

When she figured out what was happening and who had done it (the former was harder to figure out than the latter), she actually called us on the phone! Imagine! She tells that story every time I've been to a high school reunion (been a while though).

That's one of my favorite stories (evil without actually being harmful).... But I doubt its one of LF's favorites....

2 comments:

Jen said...

That really was mean, funny and clever but frustrating I'm sure. How much did you pay in postage?

M&M said...

I think we sent about 12 letters, total. But I'm not sure how much the postage was back in the late 70's. Couldn't have been much, 'cause we were POOR!

Mean? What do you think is mean about it?