Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Pride Day

Happy Pride Day to everyone. Today is the day that Columbus is celebrating gay pride. It's a big celebration here - 60,000 people last time I went about 6 years ago. It's been over 100,000 for a couple of years now. I'm an old married guy now, so I don't go anymore. Husband has no interest in being in a crowd that large - gay or not.

If you don't know the reason that gay pride is celebrated in late June every year, I advise you to search Wikipedia for Stonewall Riots. Surprisingly rainbow flags were NOT involved. It's important to know history.

In honor of Pride, I want to recommend that EVERYONE (regardless of sexual orientation) read a Armistead Maupin book. (No, I don't get commission). I just read Michael Tolliver Lives last weekend and, as usual, was blown away. His books always come across as fun, breezy and chaotic - until you get to the end. At that point everything comes together in a way that is surprising but still somehow obviously RIGHT. He's written a lot of books by now - most of them part of Tales of the City series. Do yourself a favor and read (or re-read) them. Great stuff and fun summer read.

No comments: